VISION is open-source software written in MATLAB for video stabilisation using automatic features detection. It can be applied for any use, but it has been developed mainly for image velocimetry applications in rivers. It includes a number of options that can be set depending on the user’s needs and intended application:
1) selection of different feature detection algorithms (seven to be selected with the flexibility to choose two simultaneously),
2) definition of the percentual value of the strongest features detected to be considered for stabilisation,
3) geometric transformation type,
4) definition of a region of interest on which the analysis can be performed,
5) visualisation in real-time of stabilised frames.
One case study was deemed to illustrate VISION stabilisation capabilities on an image velocimetry experiment. In particular, the stabilisation impact was quantified in terms of velocity errors with respect to field measurements obtaining a significant error reduction of velocities. VISION is an easy-to-use software that may support research operating in image processing, but it can also be adopted for educational purposes.
How to cite: Pizarro, A., S.F. Dal Sasso, S. Manfreda, VISION: VIdeo StabilisatION using automatic features selection for image velocimetry analysis in rivers, SoftwareX, Volume 19, 101173, 2022. [pdf]